Wednesday, December 5, 2012

back in time

Tonight I was driving home and listening to Christmas music on the radio. Suddenly, O Come All Ye Faithful by Frank Sinatra came on, and instead of being in my car, I was instantly at my grandparents house in Bountiful just exactly as it was years ago. I could see my grandpa, in detail down to his perfectly combed white hair and his outfit. I could see my grandma, before she had Alzheimers, happy and warm and wonderful. I could see their tree in front of the window with its vintage ornaments, the colored globe on the mantle above the fire crackling in the fireplace. We were all there, my mom, my sisters and me. And Grandma and Grandpa. Snow was falling outside, piling up the way it always did at their house on the hill. But it didn't matter if a blizzard came, we were happy and cozy and safe.

I love how music can instantly take you back to such specific memories and moments in time. And I loved that it happened so unexpectedly tonight. My grandpa loved the crooners, and he loved to sing along and be dramatic and goofy. He always made things fun. And my grandma always made sure everyone was comfortable. She was the definition of warm and loving. I have been thinking about them a lot lately, missing them. They were both such wonderful people, and such amazing grandparents. They loved us SO much, and we always, always knew it, because we felt it in absolutely everything they did. I miss having them to talk to, giving them hugs, and just being around them. I was so fortunate to get to spend a great deal of time with them growing up, and while I always loved it, I don't think I fully realized what a blessing it was. There was so much to learn from both of them, their lives were examples in so many ways.

My kids are also blessed with wonderful grandparents--on both sides. I only really got to know one set of grandparents, so I feel like my kids are so blessed to have five grandparents. I hope they appreciate it. Right now, they both absolutely love and adore all five of them, but I hope as they grow, that love and respect will only grow as well. It's such a blessing to be able to grow up and know your grandparents and get to feel the love they have for you.

I'll always be grateful for mine, and I hope they know that. They have both done so much for me and I love them dearly. I hope I can always have moments where I can remember them as vividly as I did tonight, because it took me back to a wonderful place, a place I miss because they were there, they made it the warm, cozy, and safe place that it was, and I will always be grateful for that.